Junior Chefs Breakfast Club!
Students started off each morning this week by preparing delicious breakfast entrees, including omelettes, with the help of our passionate chef (Ms. Keefe Johns) and dedicated teaching assistants (TAs). This week all had the chance to find their “inner chef” as they gained confidence in the kitchen. Bon Appétit!
Enrichment, Scholars Campers Enjoy New Hajjar STEM Center
The Hajjar STEM Center is a $20 million, architectural award-winning building that opened on the D-E campus less than a year ago, in Fall 2015. This summer, many lucky Summer Enrichment and Scholars campers are enjoying this beautiful new learning space.
As just one example, Scholars began their first week of Advanced Algebra 1 as they build the skills and confidence necessary to succeed in the following year. With the help of their teachers, they are determined to complete a full year’s work in just a few weeks! Our Enrichment students enjoyed sessions such as “Forensics” and “Hi-Tech Accessories” – just to name a few.
To learn more about the NEW Hajjar STEM Center at Dwight-Englewood School click here.
Don’t miss our Summer Showcase Events!
Families and friends are invited and encouraged to attend the following end-of-session “Summer Showcase” events from our Enrichment campers, tomorrow, Friday, July 8!
- Campers enrolled in both “Make ‘Em Laugh” (An Improv Show) and “The Debate!” will be presenting beginning at 8:40 AM in the Hajjar Auditorium.
- “Two Pigs, a Wolf, and a Mud Pie” will be performed by our Enrichment Theater students at 3 PM in the Hajjar Auditorium.
A Look Ahead…
The week of July 11 will continue to engage all our campers in the Enrichment, Scholars and Deep Dive: Immersive programs at D-E 360°Summer Connections. Below is a preview of just a few sessions underway next week; many are still available, but hurry, space is increasingly limited particularly in our most popular offerings. For the complete list of all 2016 D-E 360° Summer Connections offerings and to register online, visit http://de360.d-e.org/summer-connections/
Enrichment: Visual Arts
- This studio-style course is for those students looking into the field of architecture! Through presentations and hands-on projects, students will take creative approaches to designing and drawing buildings inspired by nature and other sources.
- Students will also design and draw a cityscape and interior space using one and two-point perspective, and learn about city planning and green architecture, as the basis for drawing and constructing their own unique cities and architectural models using a variety of materials.
Scholars: Advancement Chemistry
- In this course, summer scholars will make the connections between math and science. Several experiments will be performed to investigate the cause and effect relationships, which permeate all of science. Advancement Chemistry is held in the new Hajjar STEM Center.
Deep Dive: Immersive Program – Entrepreneurs Academy
- Calling all entrepreneurs! This “deep dive” (intensive) course will cover full introductory courses in business planning, marketing & financing, and business management. Students will explore the “How To’s” of starting their own business from understanding the basic fundamentals of business to following and creating a business plan! The week will culminate with the completion and submission of a business plan portfolio and a presentation!
July Food Drive Underway!
Beginning next Wednesday, July 13,D-E 360° Summer Connections (SC) is holding its annual July Food Drive! We are working with Englewood’s Center for Food Action, to help those for whom summers have been more difficult. We are asking all our SC families to help by donating nonperishables (e.g., canned goods) as well as baby products and toiletries, and to drop off these donations at the Discoveries & Adventures program desk in the D-E Lower School (Drapkin Hall). The drive is underway through Monday, July 25. Thank you for your support of this worthwhile cause!
Dining Menu for Enrichment/Scholars/”Deep Dive” Campers
Listed below are the featured dining menu items for the upcoming week, available to all our Enrichment, Scholars, and “Deep Dive: Immersives” campers. Additional dining menu options available include sushi trays, prepared sandwiches, wraps, salads, and more. Chef Luke also typically prepares for our campers a variety of tasty side dishes ranging from rice, potatoes, and french fries… to broccoli, squash, and carrots.
In addition to lunch offerings, BREAKFAST items (including bagels, muffins, yogurt) and SNACKS (eg., chips, sweets and healthy treats) are also available to campers before the first morning session each day, beginning at 8:00 AM, and during session breaks.
Campers can pay for their dining selections through a pre-paid or cash-payment basis. Lunch is typically included in the cost of our “Deep Dive: Immersive” offerings. Click here or visit our General Information page at http://de360.d-e.org/summer-connections/ for more details.
Dining for our youngest campers in the Discoveries and Adventures (D&A) Program is handled separately, and information is available in the D&A information located at right / below.
Questions? Call the D-E 360° Summer Connections Main Office at: 201-227-3144.
Featured Menu Items for the Week of July 11, 2016
Monday, July 11: Chicken Tenders
Tuesday, July 12: Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Wednesday, July 13: Bagged Lunches
Thursday, July 14: French Bread Pizza
Friday, July 15: Grilled Herbed Chicken