Other than Ancient Greece, no other location has been a greater contributor to Western Culture than Italy. The intellectual and artistic antecedents of much of contemporary American society derive from Italy, therefore, a trip in exploration of these antecedents will serve to contextualize students’ world.
Through a hands-on experience of three millennia of cultural and artistic products, students will gain a much deeper and more nuanced understanding of the society and culture in which they currently inhabit. The theater, art, architecture, public spaces, language, and even food, which students enjoy in their everyday lives will be much better understood having immersed themselves in the traditions whence they come.
Come explore the marvels of Classical and Renaissance Italy this summer! Walk in the footsteps of the Ancient Romans through such wonders as the Colosseum, the Roman Forum, Pompeii, and Paestum as you learn their history from expert guides. Behold the magnificent works of Michelangelo, DaVinci, Caravaggio, and Bernini, and delight in the unparalleled beauty of Rome and the Bay of Naples.
Syllabus and/or Itinerary
July 8-22, 2019
- Days 1-2: Home – Sorrento
- Day 3: Sorrento Excursion to Capri: Round trip shuttle to the port, Ferry Sorrento-Capri, Round-trip Capri funicular, Visit to Capri’s Gardens of Augustus, Ferry Capri-Sorrento
- Day 4: Sorrento Excursion to Pompeii and Naples: Local Guide, Visit to the ruins of Pompeii, Naples National Archaeological Museum
- Day 5: Sorrento Excursion to the Amalfi Coast and Paestum: Sightseeing stop in Amalfi, Paestum Ruins and Museum, Paestum guide
- Day 6: Sorrento Excursion to Herculaneum and Mt. Vesuvius: Ruins of Herculaneum, Herculaneum Guide, Ride up to Mt. Vesuvius National Park and hike to the crater with guide
- Day 7: Sorrento Excursion to Phlegrean Fields and Cumae: Pozzuoli, Pozzuoli Amphitheatre, Lake Avernus, Visit to the Cumae Archaeological Park with the Sibyl’s Cave (if open)
- Day 8: Sorrento – Rome Tour director-led walking tour from the Spanish Steps to the Trevi Fountain
- Day 9: Rome Rome City Sightseeing: Local guide, Visits to the Colosseum and the Roman Forum
- Day 10: Rome Visit to the Pantheon Stroll on Piazza Navona
- Day 11: Rome Vatican Museums semi-private tour
- Day 12: Rome Excursion to Ostia Antica and the Via Appia Catacombs: Visit to the ruins and museum at Ostia Antica, Local Guide, Catacombs of San Sebastiano or Catacombs of San Callisto
- Day 13: Rome Excursion to Tivoli: Villa Adriana, Villa d’Este
- Day 14: Rome
- Day 15: Departure. Departure transfer
An adventure awaits!
- To download the Italy Trip, Summer 2019 Flyer (PDF), click here.
- To download the D-E 360° Travel Application Form 2019 (PDF), click here.
- To register, click here.
Total trip costs $6,450 (non-refundable). Early registration is encouraged and allows us to guarantee D-E 360° offerings as soon as enrollment is sufficient. Registration deadline is December 1, 2018. A $1,000 non-refundable deposit must be submitted at the time of registration. Balance due by March 1, 2019. Cost does not include trip cancellation insurance.
An Important Note about Schedule Changes: D-E 360° reserves the right to change, alter, or amend the daily itinerary for this trip at any time. Changes can be made for various reasons including changes in flight or program schedules, changes in the schedules of various external operators or partner organizations, changes due to weather or safety concerns, the addition of new activities into a trip, or the substitution of a new activity for an old activity. The itinerary shown here provides our best projection of the daily schedule for this program. As with any travel program, some changes may occur.
Questions? Email email@example.com.Click Here to Register