Week 4 (July 15 – 19, 2019) Wrap-Up
Adventures had a wonderful week exploring Our Future World through hands-on math and science applications. They explored ozobots and circuits, engaged in STEM challenges, and participated in coding courses and experiences. Campers also worked on cracking binary and numerical codes and even created their own secret messages. The week was enhanced with a trip to the Meadowlands Environmental Center in Lyndhurst, New Jersey where campers in Groups 1- 4 learned about the importance of alternative wind and water energy experiments and Groups 5 and 6 completed a full day course on sustainable design where they researched, planned, and created their own sustainable homes.
Discoveries advanced into the world of technology and coding. The children engaged in hands-on learning activities that encouraged them to grow, explore and discover science and technology concepts. Our special presenter, Mr. David Vieira, showed the children how circuits are a fun way to learn and explore the basics of electricity. By using Play-Doh, the children were able to create sculptures with embedded lights and buzzers. Additionally, our Discoveries and Junior Day campers learned and discussed the science behind bubbles, while reading a story Bubbles Float, Bubbles Pop by Mark Weakland. Together, with the Suez Water Company, the kids followed a recipe to create a bubble solution. They also constructed their very own wands and went outside for a bubble blowing party! Blowing bubbles is such a classic outdoor activity that can be enjoyed just about anywhere! Not only is it fun to do, but there are lots of ways that exploring bubbles can engage kids in concepts related to math, science and engineering. The kids had a blast blowing and catching bubbles!
We can’t wait for our launch to the world beyond!
- Week 5: July 22 – July 26, 2019 Our World Beyond
- Discoveries: Special Presentation
- Adventures: Hudson River Museum (Yonkers, NY)
- Week 6: July 29 – August 2, 2019 Our Fantasy World
- Discoveries & Adventures: Fantastical Celebration
- All Campers: bring sunscreen, sneakers, water bottle, and a book for siesta
- Water Play Days: Tuesday for Adventures and Wednesday for Discoveries & Jr. Day. Come to camp with sunblock already applied and dressed in your bathing suit. Bring your beach towel, water shoes and have an extra set of clothing. All items should be labeled with your child’s name.
- Theme Thursday: Superhero Day – Don your favorite superhero’s attire for the day!
- Adventures only: Wednesday Field Trip Day – wear your D-E 360° blue shirt.
- Discoveries only: bring a blanket and pillow for rest time and an extra set of clothing. Wear your D-E 360° blue shirt on Wednesday.