NEW! For all D-E Middle School (MS) students beginning Fall 2019!
MSE – Chess
Led by international Chess Master Saudin Robovic (NY Chess Kids) and sanctioned by the United States Chess Federation.
Students of all skill levels will learn the competitive game of chess in a nurturing, safe-to-take risks environment. MSE Chess will feature the chance for students to engage in real-world calibre chess competition, with real-world (Grand) Masters!
Schedule for MSE – Chess (Wednesdays in Klein 106/107, 4:15-5:15 PM):
- Fall Term: October 2 – December 18, 2019
- Winter Term: January 8 – March 18, 2020
- Spring Term: April 8 – May 27, 2020
Chess Tournament Dates (included in term registration):
- November 6, 2019 (Hajjar STEM Center)
- February 5, 2020 (Hajjar STEM Center)
- April 29, 2020 (Hajjar STEM Center)
Fee: $640 (Includes Term Tournament Fee)
MSE – Fencing
Led by international coach and athlete Patrick Durkan (Durkan Fencing Academy) and guided by US Fencing protocols.
MSE – Fencing is for students who have trained previously in fencing in Lower School and also students who are completely new to this sport. This course is designed so that students will build neuromuscular memory, spark potential interest in fencing, and have more time to sample various sports.
Schedule for MSE – Fencing (Thursdays in Drapkin Hall Gym, 4:30 – 5:30 PM):
- Fall Term: October 3 – December 19, 2019
- Winter Term: January 9 – March 19, 2020
- Spring Term: April 16 – June 4, 2020
Fee: $615 (Includes Equipment Rental)
What terms are available?
- Three (3)-terms are available for both MSE-Chess and MSE-Fencing: Fall 2019; Winter 2019-2020; and Spring 2020.
- MS Students can register for 1, 2, or all 3 terms.
What about conflicts with D-E Middle School Athletics / Team Sports?
- MS Athletics / Team Sports do not meet on Wednesdays, and seasonal play (depending on the sport) ends at different times for different teams. MS student athletes can participate in MSE-Chess, which is offered on Wednesdays. Additionally, our flexible “opt-in” program allows for students to join MSE-Fencing when their MS Athletics / Team Sports wrap-up for each season.
Where will these offerings take place?
- All MSE – Fencing will take place in the Drapkin Hall Gym. (There will be multiple teachers to facilitate various age and skill learning groups.)
- All MSE – Chess instruction will be in Klein, for an authentic “tournament hall” learning environment.
Questions? Contact Sharon Keigher, D-E 360° Director of Programs at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hurry, Limited Space Available!